Speed can improve your site or destroy it. This is why web developers, marketers, and IT departments pay attention to site speed testing tools. Improving the loading speed of your web page can have a significant impact on the overall success of your resource. Page speed affects performance in almost all areas, from user experience to search engine optimization. In fact, most website users will wait about four seconds to load a page before leaving for someone else. And one cannot ignore the fact that a faster website will work better. But it’s not always easy to understand where to start.
Sitting at a computer with a stopwatch when your site loads is not the best way to determine if it is fast enough. This is why most developers and marketers use a wide range of free tools to test site speed. These tools are always changing and always updating. So, the top 10 free site speed testing tools for 2019 will include several new favorites!
One of the best free tools for testing site speed in 2019 is GTmetrix. This tool is incredibly easy to use. You simply enter your URL and click on "Analysis".
Advantages of GTmetrix:
- The overall interface is incredibly simple. The UX design is easy to navigate and credible.
- The page speed results are given to you based on context (for example, your load time is compared to a total Internet average of 6.7 seconds). Sometimes it’s nice to know how you are compared to other sites on the Internet!
Verdict: GTMetrix offers a Pro level update that provides access to page settings, monitoring and alerts, among other benefits. The test is free and you can easily download the data. GTmetrix is very user-friendly, making it one of the best tools for checking page loading speed in 2019.
Our next tool in the review is likely to receive no web design awards in the near future. However, WebPageTest is one of the most reliable and reliable site speed testing tools available to users today.
WebPageTest benefits include:
- Users can create their own settings for each WebPageTest run that they initiate.
- With all of these settings, WebPageTest can be configured for use in a variety of locations and with different web browser settings. Your site may be running slowly in Google Chrome, but fast in Firefox, in which case WebPageTest will let you know.
- Users can also order WebPageTest for multiple launches. This can give you an idea of the stability of the pages of the site.
Verdict: WebPageTest is a free open source program. The results obtained using this tool and the verification process itself are not very convenient for the user. But the data is accurate. And if you know what you are doing, WebPageTest can provide you with a wealth of research information.
Compared to the other 9 tools on this list, Google PageSpeed Insights does not provide much data or solutions to problems. In fact, this is not quite a tool for testing page speed. But there are several reasons why you should use it:
- Google results may be more relevant than other tools. This is because the system actually creates a search ranking in which you are trying to gain momentum. If a tool from Google detects a problem with the performance of your website, we recommend that you take this information seriously.
- This tool is also incredibly easy to use. Just enter your web address, wait a few seconds, and you will see the results for both mobile and desktop versions of your site. All results have a nice color coding, so you will instantly find out if your site is working well.
Verdict: if this were not an official tool from Google, perhaps it was not on this list. It simply does not have all the features that other tools have. In this case, the authority of the instrument overshadows its usefulness.